The Reverend Canon Dr. William J. Danaher, Jr. was called to serve as the 8th Rector of Christ Church Cranbrook in September of 2014. He came to Christ Church Cranbrook after serving as the Dean of the Faculty of Theology at Huron University College, in London, Ontario. He also served as Theologian in Residence at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London, Ontario.
Father Bill is a gifted and award-winning preacher and published author. Since being ordained in 1995, he has served parishes in New Haven, New York City, Sewanee (TN), and London, Ontario. He also served as the Canon for Interfaith and Ecumenical Relations for the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan from 2015-2017.
Father Bill is the recipient of several honors and awards including:
- Pastor of the Year 2016- The Metropolitan Christian Council – Detroit/Windsor
This is an annual Award given to a Detroit-area Pastor who has provided exceptional leadership in projects of social transformation and interreligious dialogue and understanding.
- Recipient of the Henry Luce III Fellow in Theology: 2013-2014
$75,000 grant to support research that furthers significant and innovative contributions to theological studies in order to strengthen the links between theological research, churches, and wider publics.
- Participation in the Young Leaders Program: 2007 – 2008- French American Foundation, New York, NY
A one-year program for emerging political, financial, educational and cultural leaders in France and the United States, spending two weeks in each country meeting national leaders and exploring topics central to foreign policy, government, business, academics and culture.
- John Hines Preaching Award: April 2004 – Virginia Theological Seminary
Annual national award recognizing sermons grounded in Scripture and focused on issues of social justice.
- CIVITAS Scholar: July 2003- The Pew Foundation CIVITAS Program in Faith and Public Affairs, Washington, DC
A five-week summer institute funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts that studies political life, public justice, and the meaning of citizenship. Coordinated by the Center for Public Justice.
He also serves as a board member of the following organizations:
- InterFaith Leadership Council for Metropolitan Detroit (Detroit, MI): September 2016- Present
Largest Interfaith network in the United States dedicated to interreligious conciliation and education.
- Foundation Trustee, Samaritas (Detroit, MI): September 2016 – Present
Social service agency with 70 programs in 40 cities throughout Michigan.
- Board, Crossroads of Michigan (Detroit, MI): January 2016 – Present
Social service and outreach agency located in Detroit to provide assistance, advocacy, and counseling to those in need.
Father Bill holds an undergraduate degree from Brown University, a Master of Divinity from Virginia Theological Seminary and Masters and a PH. D. in Religious Ethics from Yale University. He and his wife, Claire Danaher have been married for 27 years. They have two daughters, Phoebe and Thea.